Closing date: 21st November 2022
DOAJ offers free online access and visibility to the thousands of publishers, journals and authors who produce quality, peer-reviewed, open access content. It is a unique and extensive database of diverse open access journals from around the world, and its content is freely available online for everyone.
We are a global virtual organisation. We are a small (and growing) team comprised of members in Europe, North Africa, East Asia, and North America. We are scholarly communication professionals, publishers, librarians, and academics working collaboratively to maintain the world’s best directory of open access journals.
About the role
We are looking for a freelance Community Manager to join our team to manage stakeholder engagement and community-building across the organisation. We are looking for someone who can commit to at least 30 hours per week.
The right candidate for this position believes that research should be and can be inclusive and available to everyone, regardless of gender, social or economic status, geographic location, ethnicity, or race.
You will report to the Managing Director.
You will work closely with the Communications Manager to develop, implement and manage strategies to engage our diverse external stakeholder groups:
- Publishers and publishing platforms
- Libraries, library publishers, and librarians
- Discovery and dissemination services
- Researchers, universities, and funders
You will be responsible for:
- Raising DOAJ’s profile through proactive engagement with and management of our diverse stakeholder groups, especially:
- Develop a stakeholder community of libraries as users, supporters and advocates for DOAJ
- Nurture relations with our consortia supporters and encourage renewals and their members to support us
- Co-ordinating our outreach programme to support open access journals and publishers globally, by
- Managing one or more of our strategic partnerships
- Ensuring that DOAJ is represented at industry events and that proposals are submitted where relevant to promote our work and projects.
- Helping to train ambassadors, coordinate initiatives and gather data generated by our outreach work
- Building bridges across the scholarly community, by
- Facilitating conversations with the broader DOAJ community using surveys and focus groups
- Helping to connect the different groups within our community
Other tasks include:
- Representing and promoting DOAJ through social media, webinars, email lists, and conferences
- Developing value-added services for our supporters and users
- Communications with DOAJ’s advisory board and council
- Updating our customer relationship management system with information from your work
- Maintaining the calendar of events
The qualities and skills we are looking for
- Be able to commit at least 30 hours per week.
- Have experience in community engagement
- Be a proven expert at raising awareness and increasing engagement on social media
- Understand scholarly communications, what it means and how it works. We’re particularly interested in speaking with you if you have previously worked with academic libraries, publishers, or research funders.
- Have experience and knowledge of scholarly communications outside North America, Europe and Australasia. We’re particularly interested in speaking with you if you have worked in South America, Africa, the Middle East, or Asia.
- Be an excellent communicator and fluent in English at all levels and in all mediums
- Demonstrate the energy and initiative to work independently but also that you can check in regularly and will ask questions
- Be a good fit for our organisation.
It is an advantage if you
- Have some form of further education
- Are fluent in other languages
- Can travel to meetings and industry events
- This includes an annual DOAJ Team meeting
- Know how to work with collaboration and productivity software, such as Google for Business, Plausible Analytics, Slack, SurveyMonkey, CRM
- already have the experience of working remotely and the set-up to do that.
To be an integrated member of the team, you must:
- Be available online at some point between 09:00 and 17:00 UTC, Monday to Friday.
- Manage your own schedule.
- Have a stable and reliable internet connection.
- Be used to having online meetings using Google Meet and Zoom
Between €187 and €210 per day, based on your level of experience and where you are in the world.
The final level of compensation would be agreed upon between you and the Managing Director.
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible. However, we will wait for the right person.
DOAJ is an adopting organisation of the C4DISC Joint Statement of Principles and strives to improve diversity and inclusion in scholarly communications. It is extremely important to DOAJ that these principles are reflected in our organisational structure and that they are acted upon in our day-to-day operations.
If you have questions about the role described here, about working for DOAJ or the application process, please email Dominic Mitchell: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
Send a cover letter, including a reference to an example of your social media work, and a copy of your resumé/CV to Dominic Mitchell, DOAJ Operations Manager (email@example.com), by Monday 21st November 2022.